Is a Tommee Tippee Prep Machine worth it? This is a question that many parents ask themselves when looking for a bottle warmer.
A Tommee Tippee Prep Machine is generally worth it for parents looking for a cost-effective bottle warmer. Besides, it works fast, saving time. However, parents who plan to breastfeed exclusively may find it unnecessary.
Nonetheless, buying this prep machine comes with more pros that make it a worthwhile purchase. If you’re thinking of getting one for your baby but are a little unsure, read on to learn more about these benefits.
What Is a Tommee Tippee Prep Machine?
A Tommee Tippee Prep Machine is an electric bottle warmer and sterilizer. This device is used to heat bottles and baby food jars to the correct temperature or kill germs. You can use it to heat formula, breastmilk, or baby food without having to boil a pot of water on the stove.
Using this machine saves energy and time involved in heating liquids for drinking at mealtime. The machine just needs a plug to operate and takes up minimal counter space. It’s especially useful for parents who are trying to get out of the house in the morning.
What Does a Tommee Tippee Prep Machine Do?
A Tommee Tippee Prep Machine heats your baby’s bottles in just 2 minutes and can keep them warm for up to 4 hours. It also sterilizes jars and nipples within minutes. You can set it to a specific temperature before starting so that when it is finished, everything will be ready for feeding time.
Here’s a 9-minute video that describes how to use this machine:
How Long Does a Tommee Tippee Prep Machine Last?
A Tommee Tippee Prep Machine can generally last up to 6 years if used properly by following all safety guidelines provided with purchase. Also, the more you use the prep machine, the faster its operational efficiency reduces.
In addition, heating liquids beyond recommended temperatures could lower its lifespan or damage the machine.
That said, here are six sure-fire ways to ensure your machine lasts as long as possible:
- Do not submerge the machine in water: if the device falls in water or comes in contact with it for any reason, unplug the power cord immediately and have it checked by an authorized service engineer if you suspect internal damage.
- Do not place the machine in the dishwasher: Instead, hand wash the bottle warmer with warm soapy water and make sure all the parts are completely dry before storage.
- Do not shake or rock your machine: The glass bottles come with a small bag inside to prevent breakage. Don’t remove the bottle until it has cooled down, as this could cause them to loosen or fall out from within the machine. You’ll know when they’ve cooled off enough because you’ll be able to touch them without feeling any warmth from within the container itself.
- Do not exceed recommended heating times and temperatures: Heating liquids above recommended times or temperatures can damage the machine.
- Do not remove bottles from the machine until they have fully cooled down: The bottle inside could loosen or fall out, causing breakage if this happens. You’ll know when it has cooled down enough because you’ll be able to touch it without feeling any warmth from within the container itself.
- Do not leave it plugged in overnight: It’s a good idea to unplug your machine from the power source when you’re not using it. This helps prevent damage by overnight power surges, besides reducing the chances of an electric fire.
- Clean the machine regularly: Clean the removable parts as per instructions provided with the purchase. Proper cleaning increases longevity by preventing clogging inside the machine’s components which affects its performance over time.
- Keep your machine away from young children: This reduces the risk of them getting hurt and prevents damage to the machine, which may shorten its lifespan.
- Always follow manufacturer guidelines: If the manufacturer suggests something, it’s to help extend its lifespan and ensure optimum performance from your machine. Ensure you follow all guidelines, including:
- Using the machine in a well-ventilated room.
- Not using the appliance if its cord or plug gets damaged.
- Using the machine on a flat, heat-resistant surface.
- Keeping the appliance stationary when using it.
- Replacing the filter every 3 months.
- Ensuring the water tank is always above the minimum limit mark before using the machine.
- Keeping the appliance in a cool, dry location with minimum sunlight.
- Descaling the prep machine to remove mineral deposits that may degrade its performance.
How Much Do Tommee Tippee Prep Machines Cost?
The Tommee Tippee Prep Machine’s price range is around £74.99 – £109.99. The price may vary with the chosen model and any offers available or promotions running at that time. Generally, the newer Perfect Prep Day and Night bottle warmer is more expensive than the older one.
Remember that this fee does not include extra costs such as sterilizing tablets or other items related to feeding your baby with breast milk or formula.
Tommee Tippee Prep Machines are available on Amazon.co.uk.
Can You Use Other Brand Bottles With the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine?
You can use other brands of bottles with the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine. However, be sure to check that they’re compatible first or else it won’t work. Also, some parts need to be changed before using these different types of bottles for them to fit properly into the machine.
For example, if using Avent Philips bottles that have a longer neck than normal ones, you might need an additional collar piece to use it without any issues within the prep machine.
Examples of other brand bottles you can use with the Tommee Tippee Machine include:
- Philips Avent bottles
- Dr Brown’s bottles
- MAM bottles
Note: Although you can use other brand bottles with the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine, you must only use the recommended Tommee Tippee filters. Ordinary water jug filters are ineffective in blocking bacteria from entering and may cause build-up of carbon residue on the machine’s tubes.
Is the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine Worth Buying if I Am Breastfeeding?
The Tommee Tippee Machine is generally worth buying when breastfeeding if you plan to use formula to feed your baby. However, if you’re breastfeeding mostly and only planning on using the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine very occasionally for occasional bottles, then it probably isn’t worth buying.
That said, using the machine isn’t as expensive as other bottle makers or sterilizing equipment available on the market. It also doesn’t take up much space in your kitchen, and it’s relatively easy to use.
It’s also great for travelling with your child. The insulated bag provided has an adjustable handle and shoulder strap, which you can carry around comfortably while transporting, even while running errands.
Overall, the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine is a great product to use with your baby and comes highly recommended.
Is the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine Worth Buying?
The Tommee Tippee Prep Machine is worth buying if you’re planning on formula feeding or 50-50 breastfeeding. Not only does it help with the time and stress of preparing bottles, but it’s also better for your baby in the long run as prepared bottles help ensure a clean and safe bottle for your baby.
In brief, here are five solid reasons to buy the Tommee Tippee Prep Machine:
- It makes life easier for both you and your partner. You can prepare bottles in advance and let your partner have a turn with feeding or changing the baby.
- It’s great for travelling. You can take it with you when going on holiday to make bottle feeding your baby away from home stress-free.
- It ensures optimum hygiene for your baby’s bottles. There’s no need to worry about preparing bottles incorrectly, which could endanger your child’s health.
- It helps keep the cost of bottle feeding down. You can prepare several bottles in advance to avoid having to buy formula, sterilizing tablets, and other items every other day.
- It’s easy to use. There’s no need for batteries or electrical power. You just have to fill the machine with water, press a button, and within minutes, you have a clean bottle ready for your baby.
Also, the Prep Machine comes with an insulated bag made of resistant material, which helps keep prepared bottles warm for up to 4 hours; simply place the bottle filled with hot water into the bag before using the machine.