Some babies enjoy their baths from the get-go, while others need a little time to get used to it. Eventually, most children find a bath soothing. However, the baby bath you choose will greatly affect how comfortable you and your child are during this time.
The Shnuggle Baby Bath is better in terms of ease of use and safety, but it’s outgrown quickly. The Munchkin Baby Bath is better in value, as it can be used for longer as the baby grows. When choosing, consider style, price, durability, age suitability, and how much space it occupies.
The Munchkin Baby Bath and the Shnuggle Baby Bath are some of the best in the market, so either is a good choice. Keep reading to learn the differences between these two and the advantages and disadvantages of each so you can decide which is better for you.
What Is a Shnuggle Baby Bath?
The Shnuggle Baby Bath is a compact size tub guaranteed to provide safety and comfort during baths for infants 0-12 months. Its smooth curves and attractive design – which earned it a Gold Award in the 2019 and 2021 Mother & Baby Awards – make it easier to give baths, especially for newborns.
Some of the outstanding features of the Shnuggle Baby Bath (available on Amazon) include:
- Compact size: This makes it the perfect fit for newborns since they can be more upright during baths. The compact size limits heat loss, so the water stays warmer for longer. Given its size, you don’t need much storage space. This tub can also fit inside a standard kitchen sink.
- Foam backrest: This foam adds to your baby’s comfort being at room temperature, so you don’t have to worry about your baby leaning on a cold surface.
- Drain plug: You can easily remove the water and clean the baby bath.
- Bum bump: This keeps the baby from sliding. It also gives babies confidence to sit upright during baths, especially when they are learning to sit.
- Generous depth: The size enables your baby to be submerged in water up to his shoulders. Your baby is going to remain warm, especially if he enjoys long baths. The depth also allows you to use little water, a minimum of 2 litres, for newborns.
- Lightweight: The Shnuggle Baby Bath weighs 1.2kg (2.6 lb). Despite its weight, this bath is sturdy.
- Rubber feet: These prevent the baby bath from sliding, especially if placed on a slippery surface.
- Multiple colours: You can get this bath in grey, white with grey slate, rose pink, star, taupe, aqua, and navy colours.
- Elegant design and smooth finish: This design makes it an awesome gift for friends and family.
What Is a Munchkin Baby Bath?
The Munchkin Baby Bath is a compact, non-slip baby bath. It has features that make it an excellent choice for bathing babies 0-12 months old. The support hump at the base of the bath helps babies, especially those yet to hold their heads up, to remain upright during the bath.
The Munchkin Baby Bath also features:
- A slight recline to provide adequate back support
- Tub drain for the fast movement of water when draining or washing the baby bath
- A handle that doubles as a storage hook if you want to hang the tub
- A padded backrest for additional comfort
The backrest is also at room temperature, so you need not worry about your baby leaning on a cold surface when you put him in the bath.
Here is a video that gives an overview of the Munchkin Baby Bath and what to expect when you buy one:
What Is the Difference Between a Shnuggle Baby Bath and a Munchkin Baby Bath?
The differences between a Shnuggle Baby Bath and a Munchkin Baby Bath are seen in size, price, weight, and overall design. These distinct differences set them apart, however, you’ll notice several similarities as well.
Here’s a quick side-by-side view of the noticeable differences:
|Shnuggle Baby Bath||Munchkin Baby Bath|
|Size||34cm (l) x 25.5cm (w) x 35cm (h)||67.2cm (l) x 42.6cm (w) x 44.8cm (h)|
|Price||£ 19.99 – £ 28.99||£ 20.00 – £ 25.00|
|Weight||1.2kg (2.6 lb)||1.08kg (2.3 lb)|
|Colours||Available in aqua, rose pink, grey, star, white with grey slate, taupe, and navy.||White|
The earlier versions of the Shnuggle Baby Bath had no plug at the bottom for draining the water. However, this is an additional feature that you’ll find in some of the Shnuggle Baby Baths. If this is a feature you need, it is best to confirm that the bath has it before purchasing it.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Munchkin Baby Bath?
Advantages of the Munchkin Baby Bath include a tight-fitting pull plug to prevent leakage, a safety line to estimate proper water levels, and a handle for easy carrying or hanging. The bath is easy to use, and it features a small sitting area that restricts movement, perfect for bathing newborns.
What Are the Disadvantages of Using a Munchkin Baby Bath?
Disadvantages of the Munchkin Baby Bath are in its design: it’s made to keep babies upright, but it’s hard to wash the baby’s head. It’s also larger than a regular sink, so it can be tricky to fill and drain. Lastly, the large, off-putting warning stickers are hard to remove and leave a sticky mess.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Shnuggle Baby Bath?
The main advantages of using a Shnuggle Baby Bath are ease of use and safety. Its compact design allows for quick bath preparation, the small base fits most kitchen sinks, and the bottom grips securely to surfaces to prevent slipping. It’s rated as one of the best baby baths for various reasons.
Other advantages are:
- Babies can stay in the bath for longer without getting cold.
- If your baby has a small body, he will likely use the Shnuggle Baby Bath for a year.
- After regular use, your baby will gain the confidence to start playing with bath toys independently.
What Are the Disadvantages of Using a Shnuggle Baby Bath?
The main disadvantage of using the Shnuggle Baby Bath is that babies outgrow it quickly. Space becomes limited as the baby grows, and it becomes cumbersome to give a proper and comfortable bath. Also, the textured base will collect dirt if the bath isn’t washed properly.
In addition, the price may not offer value for parents of babies who outgrow the compact size in a few months.
It should also be noted that updated Shnuggle Baby Baths have a drainage plug. However, the earlier versions did not have a drainage hole at the base. Draining and refilling the bath was a little difficult, especially when holding your baby.
Shnuggle Baby Bath vs Munchkin Baby Bath – Which Is Better?
The ultimate decision on which baby bath is most suitable will depend on your preference.
For a long while, cost used to be the main factor that set these two baby baths apart. The price of the Shnuggle Baby Bath was much higher than that of the Munchkin Baby Bath. However, the prices of both baths are currently within the same margins.
The Munchkin Baby Bath is the better option over the Shnuggle if you want a bath that your baby will fit into for longer, as the Munchkin is almost double the size of the Shnuggle. However, if you’re more concerned about handling a newborn in the bath, the Shnuggle Baby Bath is a better option.
Its base is more compact than that of the Munchkin Baby Bath. The anti-slip features will also help you hold your baby in place during the bath.
The handle in the Munchkin Baby Bath gives you greater flexibility on how you wish to dry and store the baby bathtub. It is also an awesome choice for people with minimal storage floor space since they have the option of hanging it.
The Shnuggle is currently available in seven colours. If you don’t like being restricted to buying either blue or pink baby baths, you can explore the range of colors to find the most appealing one.