When you imagined what breastfeeding would entail, you probably did not think of sore nipples or milk leakage. A baby’s cry, even if not yours, can trigger your milk flow. It only takes a public-leaking circumstance to realize that it is an issue that needs an instant solution, and so, companies have gotten to work and have come up with a solution – nursing pads.
The best reusable breast pads available for heavy flow include Bamboobies Washable Reusable Nursing Pads, which have different absorbency levels from which you can choose. Others include Lansinoh Washable Nursing Pads, KeaBabies Organic Bamboo Breast Pad, and Close Pop-In pads.
You can be sure that this is an excellent solution and this article has been written to guide you. It focuses on what you need to know about the best reusable breast pads for heavy flow.
Reusable vs. Disposable Breast Pads for Heavy Flow
A woman’s breast can start producing milk as swiftly as the second trimester of pregnancy, and this can span through two years even after breastfeeding stops.
This implies that milk can be released when a woman least expects it, for example, in a warm shower and from one breast in the process of a baby feeding from the other. Interestingly, this can also occur when you hear a baby cry.
Typically, leaking occurs in the early stages of breastfeeding as your breast milk supply aligns with your baby’s needs.
Nursing pads are pads placed in the bra that absorb any excess milk that leaks from a woman’s breast between feeds, and this helps to prevent your clothes from getting soaked with milk or your nipples irritated. Nursing pads can either be disposable or reusable.
In your decision to go for nursing pads, one of the major things you want to consider is whether to go for disposable or reusable pads. You also want to consider the material to ensure that what you are going for is leak-proof.
Disposable nursing pads are designed to be used once and disposed of after they have absorbed your breast milk for some time. They usually come individually wrapped, and you can dispose of them after using them; they are fantastic on the go.
On the other hand, reusable pads are made to be washed and reused; this makes them a more environment-friendly option. Also, they are suitable for your budget, especially in the early stages of being a nursing mother.
Having considered the concept of nursing pads and their types, let us look at some important questions concerning reusable pads for heavy flow.
Can I Use Any Reusable Breast Pads for Heavy Flow?
While most times you can use any reusable breast pad for flow, there are times when some are not suitable for you.
The following are some tips to consider in going for a suitable reusable breast pad:
- First and foremost, you need to know your body type, and brand peculiarities. Because what applies to others may not apply to you.
- Consider going for breast pads without bright colours and patterns. These types of breast pads can easily show through your clothing instead of white, black and nude breast pads.
- You must be aware of laundering directions as they apply to each breast pad. Some reusable breast pads need to be washed or dried by hand.
- Also, all sizes of reusable breast pads may not be the option for you. Though a breast pad is designed to cover a small portion of the breast to prevent leaks, you will most likely feel comfortable with a large pad in your bra as it prevents it from sliding around.
- Some brands of reusable breast pads are designed in a way that you can stick them to your bra so that the pad can stay in place. However, this may irritate your skin, particularly if you have sensitive skin or allergies.
- Some brands of reusable breast pads are focused on being lightweight, thin and discreet. They are mainly designed for women who want to avoid the feel and appearance of heavy and thick pads. However, these breast pads won’t protect you when you have heavy leaks between feeds. They are best suited for lightweight nursing.
- Finally, the material from which your reusable breast pad is made is an essential factor. Generally, bamboo nursing pads have more absorbent properties than cotton nursing pads. Indeed, the choice for heavy flow should be that with higher absorbing properties.
Are There Any Reusable Breast Pads Made for Heavy Flow?
Certain reusable breast pads are suitable for heavy flow. Examples of these reusable breast pads include:
- Bamboobies super soft washable nursing pads
- Contoured reusable bamboo nursing pads
- Curve by Cache Coeur washable nursing pads and
- Organic washable breast pads 8 pack.
5 Best Reusable Breast Pads for Heavy Flow
Best Overall: Bamboobies Washable Reusable Nursing Pads
Bamboobies is a brand at the forefront of reusable bamboo breast pads. Interestingly, you can choose from various absorbency levels depending on whether your preference is night or day.
They are almost invisible under clothes, and the soft feel they have on the breasts is a well-desired feature.
Another great thing about the Bamboobies reusable nursing pads is that they are environmentally-friendly. Bamboo is an eco-friendly and sustainable material, so choosing a bamboo pad will help you reduce your environmental footprint – without sacrificing on quality.
Best for Absorbency: Lansinoh Washable Nursing Pads
When you are talking about breastfeeding essentials, the brand – Lansinoh is a recurring name. These washable nursing pads come in a peculiar teardrop shape and are super absorbent.
This brand of reusable breast pads is ideal for sensitive skin, and that means you do not have to worry about rashes and skin irritation. Their super soft texture also makes them popular.
Best for Convenience: KeaBabies Organic Bamboo Breast Pads
This pack of bamboo breast pads is sufficient enough to last you through the week. It also has a wash bag for when you are ready to wash the breast pads. Every pad has four layers, of which three are absorbent, and the fourth layer is the waterproof layer.
The pad is organic and suitable for a baby to breastfeed immediately after use. It comes in a contoured cone design and fits perfectly while being discreet.
Best for Soreness: Lansinoh Therapearl Breast Therapy Pack
Breastfeeding mothers go through a lot, from blocked ducts, engorgement, undersupply to cracked nipples and mastitis.
These breast pads come with both hot and cold therapy. When the cold is in use, it can help relieve sore breasts. They can also help calm engorged breasts and aid with mastitis when the hot is in use.
They can be used smoothly and can also encourage milk let-down when used with any pump.
Best for Travelling: Close Pop-In Breast Pads
These breast pads are discreet and portable for travelling. They come in a mini drawstring bag, which contains six pads. This mini bag can easily be slipped into your backpack and washing machine.
The Close Pop-In breast pad also has a waterproof layer and a highly absorbent core, which gives extra confidence. The seal of the breast pad binds well to the skin, which keeps the pad in place and reduces leaks.
They have thermo-regulating properties and can easily prevent leakage in the course of your journey.
Other examples of reusable pads for heavy flow include NatureBond Bamboo Nursing Pads and LiliPadz Reusable Nursing Pads.